Here’s a compilation of various best-of-the-decade lists for the aughts. Somewhat amusing, and more proof that Americans prefer easy-to-imbibe lists and statistics to cool hard Vulcan logic any day of the week…
- Newsweek’s Top 10 Events: An interesting, well thought-out list.
- BBC’s Top Events of the Decade: The Beeb always has an interesting take.
- Top 10 Discoveries of the Decade: Science at the forefront, though we continue to question #1…
- Illinois Top 10 News Stories: A decent list (two governors down!) but why are the White Sox on there?
- Top Political Stories in the State of Illinois: A depressing list, that should have you eager to throw the bums out in this year’s elections.
- Onion AV’s Top 50 Movies: Many of these I agree with, many more I have not seen. They list 50, so it’s pretty comprehensive.
- Roger Ebert’s list: He says they’re on there because of the emotional impact they had on him, which is tough to argue with. I need to see some of these yet, especially Hurt Locker.
- Scifi Squad’s Movies List: A fairly good list of strictly sci-fi (I need to see a few of these films), and not nearly as bad as a lot of the lists out there.
- AMC and John Scalzi’s Worst (Major) Sci-Fi Movies: Scalzi is a good author and an OG sci-fi blogger; a good list, and unfortunately I’ve seen many of these…
- Top 10 ‘Geek’ Movies: I guess it’s promising that we the geeks get our list, right? Newsarama with more power to the geeks! Most of these are pretty much mainstream…
- Paste Magazine’s Top 20 Books: I am familiar with several of these, and I can’t argue with their #1, Chabon’s Kavilier and Clay.
- Onion AV’s Top Ten Short Story Collections: Personal faves on this list are Link, Gaiman, and Saunders.
- io9’s Top 20 Sci-Fi Books: Some of the books on here I definitely need to check out, although I’ve read and disagree with a couple of picks.
- Techland (L. Grossman) Top 10 Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books: I agree with many of his picks and it’s a good list.
- The Times of London’s Critics’ Top Books: An interesting and diverse list from limey-land. You cannot escape Harry…
- iFanboy’s Top Comic Books of the Decade: A pretty good list, with a few things I still need to check out at some point.
- CBR’s 30 Most Important Comics of the Decade: A list that speaks to not only the best books, but the evolution and state of the comics industry.
- Webby Award’s Ten Most Influential Internet Moments: Shows the evolution and growing power of social networking and web collaboration.
- ABC’s Top 10 Gadgets: This is a pretty obvious list with the usual suspects. To me, the top gadget has to be the USB flash drive – for good (and sometime ill) flash memory is at the heart of so many other cool gizmos.
- Rolling Stone’s Top Albums of the Decade: Perusing that list tells me my musical consumption has dropped off and my tastes are in limbo. I do agree with their #1, Kid A.
- THR’s Top 10 Most Watched TV Shows: Four Sitcoms, Three Reality Shows (which are the most recent entries as viewers become more fragmented), two dramas, and one gameshow (remember when Millionaire first came on?).
- Top 30 Funniest Political Videos/Skits: Funny? Yes. Balanced? No.
- Fighting Illini Best of the Decade: from the venerable one, Loren Tate.
And from the Beemsville Global Warming Newsdesk: it was -2 this morning when I left the house to run errands…