With last night’s disappointing performance, a 4-2 loss to the Czechs, and amidst the well-documented rash of injuries, we bring you the final edition of the Beemsville 23 for South Africa. Coach Bob Bradley will announce his (the real version) at noon today on Sportscenter, so check back in with this post late for more.
PM Edit: the roster is here, and Coach Stoneface and yours truly agree on every selection except one. See below.
- Tim Howard – hope you’re ready, Timmy
- Marcus Hahnemann – a solid backup
- Brad Guzan – looked rusty and less than stellar against the Czechs
Defenders ( 7)
- Carlos Bocanegra – the Captain had minor surgery at the beginning of the month
- Jay DeMerit – we will need him at 100%
- Oguchi Onyewu – looked slow and tentative against the Czechs; hopefully he continues to heal
- Clarence Goodson – was everything Gooch was not; possible starter in my book
- Jonathan Spector – versatile and steady
- Steve Cherundolo – veteran of two previous cups remains quick and sharp
- Jonathan Bornstein – at least he’s athletic enough; left back by default
- Landon Donovan – will have to score and play nearly every minute
- Ricardo Clark – best destroyer we have
- Stuart Holden – should be a staple on this team for many years
- Maurice Edu – despite giving up that last goal, Mo can provide back cover as well
- Benny Feilhaber – poise on the ball
- DaMarcus Beasley – looks like the old Run-DMB; just needs to stay healthy for a month
- Jose Francisco Torres – savvy passer, good head for trouble
- Clint Dempsey – will also see time in midfield; need him to score multiple goals
- Jozy Altidore – big responsibility for the youngest guy on the team – just score baby
- Brian Ching – does too many good things (other than score) to leave him at home PM EDIT: Coach Decided to bring Robbie Findley along instead of Ching; guess he really wants that speed option, and maybe Brian is still nursing the sore hamstring. This also tells us Buddle and Gomez showed him something.
- Herculez Gomez – Super-sub extraordinare; he has earned it
- Edson Buddle – believe he has more heart than the next option (Eddie Johnson)
We will just have to see what the coach thinks, and then on to Philly for the final home tune-up against Turkey.